Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tiramisu Terrine - Daring Bakers February


Alright, here's the deal. I spent some time earlier this week prepping for this month's Daring Bakers challenge. Tiramisu, the long way. This one requires a lot of advanced steps and timing, and I thought that I was all over it. The brandy-spiked pastry cream and zabaglione were chilling, the mascarpone was straining, and the ladyfingers were cooling. All's right, right?

Last night, as I began assembling these prepared components into the main attraction, I realized that it had slipped my mind to bring home heavy whipping cream to round out the luscious tiramisu filling. I'm convinced that it was a Freudian slip, triggered by the fact that I had spent half of the day developing a recipe for Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie. Yesterday I consumed more than anyone's fair share of whipped cream before the work day was done. I'm pretty sure my subconscious, or my hardening arteries, were telling me to give the heavy cream a rest. Thus, with no cream on hand, I decided to wing it. Thickest mascarpone, silken pastry cream, and boozy zabaglione were whisked together. Delicate ladyfingers were soaked in extra-strong American coffee (whoopsie, also forgot the espresso). Individual ramekins were lined with plastic wrap and filled to the brim with alternating layers of the caffeine-laced cookies and spoonfuls of filling. I pressed firmly on the third and final layer of ladyfingers before dousing them with the remains of the filling, covered them, and left them to freeze.

Today, viola, it's Tiramisu Terrine for one. Without the addition of all of that extra whipped cream, the brandy and coffee flavors really sing, and even a faint hint of lemon shines through. After warming up for a few minutes, with a simple strawberry and balsamic vinegar salad on the side, this baby is cool, creamy, and fantastic.

Let's hear it for Freudian slips, y'all.

The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession.

22 comments:

LittleRed said...

Cream or no cream...that looks simply delicious:)

Lisa said...

I can imagine the texture of this without the whipped cream would be velvety and custardy - I know I'd like it! :)

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

What a wonderful idea...tiramisu terrine. It looks simply scrumptious and your sauce is the perfect thing to take the edge off this dessert. Yum! I'm not a big fan of egg custard desserts...for me a little goes a long long way. Great job on your challenge!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Aparna said...

Yay, for that slip! You can hear it from me. :)
Thanks for baking with us.

Evelyne @ CheapEthnicEatz said...

Hehe glad you like the gun point mafioso comment. I think your version without whip cream but booze sounds AWESOME

shelley c. said...

First of all, your job sounds fantastic. Where can I sign up???

Secondly, the whipped-cream-less tiramisu looks like it came out fantastically, and I can imagine that it made the flavor stand out so much more. I may just have to make that same "mistake" one of these days... :)

Great job!

Kel said...

Like the others said, it looks like it was amazing even without the cream and I love the idea of single servings! Wonderful job on the challenge :).

glamah16 said...

Finally did mine. I didnt even see your post and did Rosted Balsamic Cherries! LOL. Beautiful as always.

Lisa Michelle said...

I too was initailly without cream and due to the snowstorm..couldn't get out to get any for two days. However, unlike you..I refused to improvise and waited until I could get my cream..LOL This is why I ended up rushing the final parts, photos and entry at the last possible second. Yours looks marvelous..and now I wish I just freakin' improvised and made do with what I had on hand! LOL BTW, love the strawberries and balsamic ingar 'touch' :)

Tia said...

that's creative!!! I like it.

STH.InChina said...

like

STH.InChina said...

like

buy rift platinum said...

Oh my! this looks absolutely delicious.=)

buy wow account said...

WoW!that is absolutely delicious..=)

buy rift account said...

OH my! love this one the texture was so perfect.

buy eve account said...

WoW! That is absolutely luscious.

child brain injury said...

You must be a fool lover :)

Live Project Training said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Live Project Training said...

The Tiramisu Terrine cream is like very testy.

live project training in .net

michigan web design said...

yummy.. I feel hungry already

James Dreesen said...

I can taste it on how it looks. When you see it its like taunting you to eat it.

pain management orange county ca said...

tastier than it looks