Friday, January 29, 2010

Daring Bakers January - Nanaimo Bars

I've eaten a graham cracker or two in my day. I grew up eating the Keebler ones dusted with cinnamon and sugar, and plain ones with a bit of peanut butter. These days I use graham crumbs for all kinds of crusts and streusels. For years, I've enjoyed these crunchy, perforated treats for years, but I've never once thought about making grahams from scratch, until this month's Daring Bakers challenge came along.

The January 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Lauren of Celiac Teen. Lauren chose Gluten-Free Graham Wafers and Nanaimo Bars as the challenge for the month. The sources she based her recipe on are 101 Cookbooks and www.nanaimo.ca.

I opted to make my grahams with regular all purpose flour. Time and budget constraints prevented me from purchasing the special flours required to make the gluten-free wafers, but I hope to try them another time. My grahams were delicious - crispy, browned, and lightly sweetened with honey. They were great on their own.



The fresh graham crackers were crumbled and used to make Nanaimo Bars, a rich Canadian cross between a bar cookie and fudge. The graham crumbs are combined with cocoa powder, toasted almonds, and coconut, to form a rich base. A thin layer of buttercream enriched with vanilla custard is spread over the chocolate base. Melted chocolate tops it all off. Traditionally the bars would be assembled in a sheet pan and cut into squares or bars. I opted to build mine in silicone muffin tins for a slightly sleeker look. I froze the finished Nanaimos until just firm, and they popped out of the muffin tin easily.



A bite or two of these Nanaimo Bars is all it takes - these babies are super sweet. Try making them in a silicone mini muffin tin for tasty, layered petit fours.

12 comments:

Lauren said...

You did an amazing job on my challenge! Everything looks beautiful =D.

Marcellina said...

Yes, mini muffin tins would be a great idea. Curious to see how your Australian holiday turned out. Hope you enjoyed Port Douglas. I didn't see the request for dining until too late.

Audax said...

WOW the final version looks so elegant and a wonderful way to have them great work. And your Aussie holiday I hope it was a great time of you lots of beetroot and vegemite toast for you LOL LOL LOL. Give me a ping when you post about your trip I'm very interested in what you thought. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Lisa Michelle said...

I was originally going to make mini muffin Nanaimo's using mini muffin liners than dipping the whole thing in chocolate when set, like a peanut butter cup shaped Nanaimo, but then I got lazy lol Your Nanaimo's and grahams look fantastic..beautifully executed! Hope you had a great time in Oz!!

Sue Sparks said...

Your graham crackers look so perfect! What a great idea to make the bars in the silicone muffin "tins"! Just the right size and no cutting involved:) Fantastic!

tonic said...

Great idea using a muffin tin, those look great!

Lisa Michelle said...

Wasn't it great making grahams from scratch? They're so much better than store bought, although I still keep my store bought supply to grind for crusts :) That said, your Nanamino's amd grahams turned out beautiful! Well done!

BTW, having my first blog giveaway either today or tomorrow..come check it out when it's up! :)

Barbara Bakes said...

I love your little round ones and your grahams look perfect!

child brain injury said...

Can you send me the ingredients for that :)

AARP Life Insurance said...

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don't know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you arenot already ;) Cheers!

michigan web design said...

Great idea.. I would love to try this one too. :)

pain clinic orange county said...

This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!