Thursday, October 8, 2009

Eat Your Juice


I'm not a big juice drinker, but that doesn't mean that I don't consume juice. I just prefer to eat it. Adding juice to recipes, both sweet and savory, is a surefire way to add flavor. When POM offered to send me a case of their delish Pomegranate Juice, I started brainstorming ways to use it. I didn't have to think long.

I knew that I'd drink some of it straight because POM Wonderful is good stuff. It's not loaded with corn syrup, artificial colors, or preservatives like most juices. The only thing in those bottles is 100% pure pomegranate juice and a whole lot of free radical-fighting antioxidants. Even if it wasn't ultra healthy, I'd be drinking it for the taste. POM Wonderful has an addictive sweet and sour balance.

Here's a quick way to incorporate POM and all those awesome antioxidants into a quick dinner:

Pour an 8 ounce bottle of POM Wonderful into a saucepan. Chop half an onion, smash two cloves of garlic, grate a teaspoon of fresh ginger and dump in the pan with the pomegranate juice. Add a dash of mirin, a dash of soy sauce, and a teaspoon of Sriracha. Stir together and cook over medium heat until the juice reduces enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain, reserving only the liquid. Goes great with chicken or pork, and could easily be doubled and stashed in the fridge for another night.

I spooned this slightly sweet sauce over stir fried pork and vegetables that were seasoned with Chinese five spice. All of the POM glaze was sponged up by a bed of brown rice. Altogether, very colorful, very pretty, and not at all likely to cause your arteries to clog up. All good things!

I think I still have one bottle of POM left, and I'm debating what to do with it. Of course I could just drink it, and I know that I'd enjoy it, but I'm still trying to think of an inventive way to bake with pomegranate juice. Suggestions?

No comments: