So, what did I learn?
1. People love booze. People will buy slices of a pie that is pasty as hell and is swimming in juice if it has bourbon in it.
2. Store-bought refrigerated pie dough is even easier to spot than I thought.
3. Even though it is the Bucktown APPLE Pie Contest, inevitably an old man will ask where the pecan pie can be found. Not joking.
4. The contest is more fun when you have friends (Courtney and Kristal) to commiserate with.
5. Don't judge a pie by it's crust. Sometimes the ugly ones are the tastiest. (Shout out to Kristal and Joel - yours was so good!)
6. I am overly competitive and need to learn to be a graceful loser. I think that I used to be better at this. Perhaps my pride has grown over the years? My pouty face is ugly and shouldn't be shown in public.
7. It's important to write down what kinds of apples are used in your filling, because the farmers market sells about a gazillion different varieties, and you'll never be able to replicate it without detailed notes. Ever.
8. I really, really, really love pie.