Sunday, September 27, 2009

Daring Bakers September - Pâte Feuilletée


It is time consuming, but certainly not difficult, to make puff pastry from scratch. This flaky, buttery dough lends itself to sweet and savory applications, and can elevate an everyday dish to something elegant.

The September 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Steph of A Whisk and a Spoon. She chose the French treat, Vols-au-Vent based on the Puff Pastry recipe by Michel Richard from the cookbook Baking With Julia by Dorie Greenspan. A vol-au-vent is a puff pastry bowl or shell, made by cutting disks and rings from rolled pastry, and stacking them together. The whole thing puffs up into hundreds of light, crisp golden brown layers.



My favorite thing to ladle into vols-au-vent is boeuf bourgignon, a hearty and heady French beef stew made with red wine. It's one of the more decadent stews around, which makes it a natural pair with buttery puff pastry. I followed Julia Child's recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, except that I used an additional carrot, and wish that I would have upped that even further, as I love the color that they add to an otherwise "brown" dish.

I have lots of extra puff dough, and am looking forward to turning it into palmiers and cheese straws later this week. Some dough will get stashed in the freezer, to be thawed at a future date for a yet unnamed project. It's a good thing to have on hand.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Wow, this looks amazing! I love the look of that stew...totally delicious! Your layers puffed so prettily! :)

glamah16 said...

That looks so good.I was thinking in this direction as well. So glad you did it. Now I want some stew.

Sue Sparks said...

Looks savory and delicious! Fall comfort food:)

Deeba @Passionate About Baking said...

This looks wonderful...a hearty stew piled into a v-a-v. Your ayers came out beautifully! Well done. I think I shall try some plamiers as well with my left over dough...thank you for the idea!

peasepudding said...

Good choice of filling, it would make a beautiful autumn dish. I have been luck and was donated a really flash camera by my father in law but it has taken me 6 months to work out how to use it (see my photos from Dec). This tutorial kindly offered by Tartelette I found the most useful and it change my photo quality really quickly! Good luck. http://www.mycookinghut.com/2008/12/02/tips-on-food-photography/

MeetaK said...

oh this looks really goood. great job! i love the stew it sounds great and nice way to serve leftover stew in a new look the next day!

Julie @ Willow Bird Baking said...

YUM, what a perfect filling choice! Looks delicious!

nicole said...

Wow! You just solved dinner for me. I just made Julia's Bourguignon and have leftovers, but not enough to make a full meal... and I have puff pastry left from the challenge. Genius :).

Julia @ Mélanger said...

Ohhhhhh, what a fabulous idea. Sounds perfect for a cold, winter night!