Sunday, July 26, 2009

Daring Bakers July - Milan Cookies



I know what you're thinking! If you've visited this blog before, you have undoubtedly noticed that the above photo is much better than normal. It's roughly 35,000% better than the photos that I usually post. Thanks to my wonderful Dave, photography geek and boyfriend extrodinaire, for helping out. He's got a way with the camera, and an excellent eye for detail. I'm hoping that he will guest photograph many more blog posts to come!

I grew up just a few miles from a Pepperidge Farm plant, and can fondly remember the scent of freshly baked bread and crackers wafting around town. Today, I associate Pepperidge Farm with some of the best packaged cookies found on grocery store shelves. Attempting to recreate the famous Milano cookie, two crisp, delicate vanilla cookies sandwiched together with dark chocolate ganache, was exciting. I hoped Gale Gand's recipe, the one the Daring Bakers followed this month, would yield a nearly identical confection. I was disappointed in that regard, because although my Milans were tasty, the cookies were slightly chewy, almost like very thin macaroons. I would have preferred a crisper cookie, but wasn't able to acheive that without over browning them, even after dropping the oven temperature from 350° to 300°.

This recipe made roughly a boatload of cookies, and leaves the kitchen smelling exactly like an ice cream parlor. I stored my completely cooled, sandwiched cookies in an airtight container, but was disappointed to wake up to cookies that were without a trace of crunch. They had gone completely soft overnight. So much for that boatload of Milans to last throughout the week - they got trashed instead.

The recipe for Gale Gand's Milan Cookies can be found here.

Thanks to this month's host! The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

13 comments:

isa said...

Your Milan cookies looks absolutely delicious! They came out very well.
I'm sorry, that you didn’t love it.
Beautiful photo!

Lisa Michelle said...

Too much lemon extract in the Milanos, killed the taste for me, so I eliminated most of it. However, your Milanos 'look' amazing, and you're so lucky to have a great BF who takes great photos!! I could use one of those! ;D

Amber said...

I can't wait to try the Milano and see if I can tweek it to make them a bit crispier. How fun that the house smells like an ice cream parlor....your cookies look perfect!

Anula said...

Beautiful tower of Milano cookies ;) The look very delicious. Cheers!

Julie (Willow Bird Baking) said...

Beautiful!

Namratha said...

The cookies are perfect, nice shot!

Sue Sparks said...

Your cookies look beautiful!!! Nice photo!

Julia @ Mélanger said...

These look lovely. Well done!

Elissa said...

The photo does look great, though I'm quite partial to stacks of cookies. I wish my house smelled like an ice cream parlor as well :)

Lauren said...

Beautiful cookies - I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them. The photo is amazing =D.

Anonymous said...

Personally the photo looks like it could have used a bit of color correcting, but perhaps it's just this monitor here at work. Anyway the cookies were tasty, albeit a bit soft, but who doesn't like Soft Batch Milanos every now and again?

Jill said...

That is a great photo--you are so lucky to have a professional to take your baking pics--I'm still learning too. :)

sugarplum fairy said...

hi ,ur cookies look great.and u know what i just finished posting a post for cookies & tip-toed to the kitchen to bite in some & guess what...my extra time baked cookies have gone soft ...what went wrong....am trying to find something online but cant so far....will have to add it to my post too now...help