Thursday, May 21, 2009

Oatmeal Clafoutis - A Disappointing Failure


It looks a lot better than it tastes. The texture is all off. I should have known better than to tamper with a recipe from files of fantastic Coltilde of Chocolate and Zucchini. Her Oatmeal Breakfast Clafoutis seemed like a great combination of healthful ingredients that I eat a lot of, but combined in a new way. In a effort to curtail breakfast boredom, I used Clotilde's recipe as a base, and began making substitutions and modifications to yield a healthier end product.

I should have left well enough alone (there is a reason that Clotilde has several book deals, magazine columns, and is fabulous in general - her recipes work). The steel cut oats that I substituted for regular did not break down, even though I soaked them in milk for 20 minutes before baking. The clafoutis is fibrous and tough, and would wreak digestive havoc on the greatest iron stomach.

So much for my good intentions of a healthier breakfast. This one is inedible.

3 comments:

leena! said...

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but if it is any consolation, the photo looks gorgeous! My oatmeal clafoutis would be slapped together and look more like an earthquake.

maris said...

I eat steel cut oats all the time and have gotten to the point where I soak them overnight in water to cook faster the next morning. When I do this, it takes five minutes to cook them as opposed to 30. I bet that would work for you if you dare to try again. I also tried to make her chocolate zucchini bread once and substituted and it was not so tasty.

chou said...

Maris idea seems useful . . . at least it was pretty? :)