Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna - Daring Bakers Marchd

The March 2009 challenge is hosted by Mary of Beans and Caviar, Melinda of Melbourne Larder and Enza of Io Da Grande. They have chosen Lasagne of Emilia-Romagna from The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper as the challenge.


Why don’t I put b├ęchamel sauce on everything? Pizza? Burgers? Raisin Bran? This month’s Daring Bakers challenge reminded me of how simple yet delicious a traditional white sauce can be. Couple it with handmade spinach noodles, Portobello mushroom ragout, and a sprinkling of parmigiana-reggiano, and dinner is a tasty vegetarian feast.

To keep the meal meat-free, I substituted a mushroom ragout for the suggested three-meat sauce. I used a combination of portobellos and white buttons seasoned with fresh sage and simmered in tomatoes. The recipe was adapted from Epicurious.

Mushroom Ragout
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, medium dice
1 pound Portobello mushrooms, caps (halved if large) and stems sliced thin
3/4 pound white mushrooms, sliced thin
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
3 – 28 ounce cans of whole tomatoes, roughly chopped with liquid reserved
Salt and pepper

In a large heavy kettle heat butter and oil over moderate heat until butter is melted and cook onion, stirring, about 5 minutes, or until softened. Stir in all mushrooms, garlic, sage, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring, about 15 minutes, or until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated. Stir in tomatoes with reserved juice and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.

11 comments:

glamah16 said...

I love the idea oif a mushroom ragu. Mushrooms are my fave. I need to try that with my leftover dough. And what's not to like about sage? Very nice.

Lauren said...

Mmm, your lasagne looks amazing!! I like the idea of doing a mushroom ragu, sounds yummy =D!

Renee said...

Your lasagna looks awesome. What a great idea with mushrooms for the ragu. Yum!

ice tea: sugar high said...

Yumm. I added mushroom to my ragu too. They go so well together with the spinach pasta.

Coco Bean said...

Oh, I bet those mushrooms tasted just as good as mini meatballs! Just thinking about mushrooms in a lasagna makes my mouth water. Great job!

Kittynn said...

Hey,
you did a vegetarian Lasagne with mushrooms too. It really looks great!
Btw: the calender on my blog can be found on http://www.humancalendar.com/ - you can also get one for your blog there!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

That looks delicious and great idea to make a mushroom ragu to go with it! It sounds absolutely delicious :)

JMom said...

That mushrooms ragu sounds delicious!! I'm definitely trying with mushrooms next time. Your lasagna looks delicious!

MaryMary said...

The mushroom ragout looks so divine...I'm sad I didn't think of it. Great job--your lasagne looks fabulous!

Chickiedoodle said...

Wow, that looks delish! I bet the sage really brought it home -- what a perfect flavor to add.

Joy said...

"Why don’t I put b├ęchamel sauce on everything?" -- I totally agree. This challenge made me realize that I need to use it more. It's so good!