Thursday, March 5, 2009

Now Accepting Donations

As I've mentioned, I've been doing research about ice cream, and more specifically, about the multiple factors that make it a formula. A fantastic blog entry by Michael Laiskonis, pastry chef at Le Bernardin, has me pointed in the right direction, but it's also left me salivating over a crazy expensive book.



Oriol Balaguer is respected for being one of the finest pastry chefs not only in his native Spain, but worldwide. He's also commanding a hefty fee for his pastry tomb, Dessert Cuisine. I've found it for $175 at The Cookbook Store. It retails above $200 elsewhere.

Unfortunately, the Chicago Public Library doesn't shelf this gem, so if I ever want to set eyes on this book, I have to make it happen. If all of my dear readers donated only $1 to my O. Balaguer's Dessert Cuisine fund*, well, then I will have $3. Maybe $2. Let's make this happen!**

*Does anyone remember Fund My Beetle? I made whopping $1 from that campaign, and still somehow managed to get the VW Beetle! And that Beetle is now long gone!

**I would gladly take excellent care of this book and return it to its rightful owner if any one would be so gracious as to loan it to me. I promise I will copy all recipes to a separate sheet of paper, and will never actually bring the book into the messy kitchen, so as to avoid marring it with chocolate splatters, flour dust, and compote stains. I'll be really careful, I swear!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish you well in your quest for the book Beth, but honestly, I'm not so sure I believe that last paragraph.

glamah16 said...

Wish I could help you. I would want that book too .

Amelia said...

Maybe not the public library, but it looks like Robert Morris College might be able to hook you up :)

http://bit.ly/6riU