Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bucktown Apple Pie Contest

Mark your calendars for the most apple-pie filled day of the year in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago!*























The Bucktown Apple Pie Contest is being held on Sunday, October 19. From 2:00 to 5:00, you can sample dozens of varieties of homemade apple pies, hobnob with Gale Gand and Top Chef Stephanie Izard, dance to the country twang of Tanglewood, and hang out with me. Plus, it's all in the name of charity!

As promised, I'll be entering a pie this year, which is a little daunting. I haven't practiced at all, and pie dough can be finicky. The last round of pies I made was for Thanksgiving 2007. Odds are, if you see me in the next couple of weeks, you'll be forced to part with doggie bags.
Bobtail is providing ice cream again this year, because pie is always better a la mode. I vividly remember how amazing the organic vanilla was, and am looking forward to having it again.


*I have to believe that somewhere in this big, wide world that there are more than 180 apple pies in one place, at one time, and if there is really a God, that place has nothing to do with Pillsbury.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Can I participate by bringing a premade pie frozen pie from Sara Lee? I mean, I will put it in the oven and then take it out. It counts!!!

I do love me some Bobtail ice cream!

P.S. Why are you offering people doggie bags of apple pie? Don't you think your roommate will want it?