Sunday, September 28, 2008

Party Crackers - Daring Bakers September

Even the most dedicated sweet tooth enjoys a little salt from time to time. The Daring Bakers September test offered a welcome change of pace with a challenge to produce lavash, a crispy flatbread type of cracker, and a dip, spread, or other accompaniment . Participants were given the liberty of seasoning the lavash to their liking, ad the dip had to be gluten-free and vegan (no wheat or animal products).















After mixing and proofing the yeasted dough, I sprinkled it liberally with ground cumin and rolled it to 1/8" thick. I brushed fresh lime juice over the top and sprinkled with kosher salt.

During baking, I realized exactly how scathing the hot spots are in my oven. The entire left side of the pan was full of blackened lavash, while the right side was barely golden. On the second batch, I was careful to rotate the pans midway through baking.

I completed this challenge during the second week of September, while I was still clinging to summer veggies. In an effort to make the most of it, I made a roasted corn salsa with tomatoes, avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. It had no choice but to be delicious, as is usually the case with fresh produce used at its prime.

This lavash recipe would be great for parties, as it can be flavored a million ways. I'll stash the recipe away for a day when I'm no longer cooking in a finicky, rented oven. Until then, I'll be purchasing my crackers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was definitely one of the tastiest salsas I've ever had the pleasure of tasting! Nice work once again Beth! If I had enough money, I'd pay you to be my personal chef!

Lauren said...

Ooo, your lavash looks wonderful! Great job!

Francijn Brouwer said...

You did it well, in your rented oven! My oven has those hot spots too, I bake my things on a rotating rack as often as I can.

Molly Loves Paris said...

Your lavashes look great, almost makes me want to try making them. I forgot about the DB project in September until 10 o'clock that evening.