Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kabob-A-Thon IV


According to American Heritage Dictionary , there are several ways to spell it:

shish ke·bab also shish ke·bob or shish ka·bob (shĭsh' kə-bŏb')
n. A dish consisting of pieces of seasoned meat and sometimes vegetables roasted on skewers and served with condiments.

No matter how you spell it, skewered meats are fun and delicious. My awesome friends, Delia and Nathaniel, were smart enough to realize the powerful combination of kabobs and the beach, and yesterday we gathered for the Fourth Annual Kebab-A-Thon. All are welcome, all are fed, some poke themselves painfully on skewers.



Beef, pork, chicken, and seafood were represented in this round. Homegrown cherry tomatoes, and all the traditional accoutrement filled out the skewers. My swordfish and bacon kebab recipe came directly from Epicurious.com. The bacon is par-cooked and then threaded around chunks of marinated fish and tomatoes before grilling. The bacon crisps up, guarding the swordfish from drying out. Tomatoes and bacon are a classic combination, and something that I've enjoyed a lot this summer.



This recipe comes together very quickly, and unlike chicken or beef, the fish acquires fantastic flavor from the marinade in just 45 minutes. It's the perfect dish for times when you haven't planned ahead, but still want something delish from the grill.

I anxiously await the fifth installment of Kebob-A-Thon, a day devoted to good eating, drinking, and lazing with friends. If you're interested in A-Thoning with us next year, shoot me an email. The more the merrier!

4 comments:

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Yum...bacon, swordfish and tomatoes skewered and grilled sound delicious together! I love the note about everyone painfully piercing themselves with the skewer. That's happened one too many times to me!

MBK said...

While I will be unable to join the 5th annual Kebab-a-Thon next year, due to a previous commitment in Australia, I will suggest the addition of red and yellow capsciums (known to us Americans as peppers) to your swordfish skewers....I've skewered, grilled and scarfed....it's dee-lish!

Natashya said...

The bacon and swordfish sounds amazing. Thanks for the tip about par cooking the bacon.
I like the list of different spellings of kebab. Hubby and I actually had a disagreement on the spelling of it earlier this summer!

Zita said...

Kabob-A-Thon, sounds like fun, a must do summer event, I think :)