Sunday, June 22, 2008

Grilling Out

After much procrastinating, I finally bought a propane tank for the grill. Let the summer begin!

What's the best part of living in the Midwest? Contrary to popular belief, it's not the mild, predictable weather. For this girl, the best thing about living in Illinois is the close proximity to sweet corn. In the summer months, when it's available everywhere, five ears for a dollar, there is nothing better. I love corn, and have fond memories of eating it straight off the cob, glistening with butter and salt, during the summers of my childhood. Nowadays I'll eat it any way I can get it when it's at it's peak. Earlier this week I bought my first ears of the season. I shucked, oiled, and grilled them up before slicing the kernels off to toss into this salad.



"Kick ass" and "salad" are two words that I never thought I would use together, but this one fits the bill. The dressing doubles as a marinade for the shrimp, so long as you discard the portion the raw shrimp swims in. It's very tasty, refreshing, and would have been even better if I had accompanied it with a margarita.

Lime, Cilantro, and Garlic Dressing

Juice of 5 limes
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cumin
salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Use as a salad dressing, or a marinade for shrimp, fish, or chicken.

2 comments:

Nif said...

When are you having me over for this?

Irina said...

that looks so yummy and healthy