Monday, June 23, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes

\

I must have been seduced by the growing selection of produce available at the vegetable market last week. I came away with strawberries, cherries, nectarines, blueberries, sweet corn, scallions, cucumbers, romaine lettuce, and a bunch of other stuff that would take forever to list. What small nation did I think I was feeding? I blame the vibrant colors of summer crops. It's difficult to resist those beautiful shades, every color of the rainbow, from strawberries to blackberries. Five days later, and I am frantically searching for ways to use all of the food before it spoils.

The strawberries have become ice cream, and the sweet corn went into salads. Having the day off, and no where to be until much later, I embarked on a breakfast project. Blueberry cheese pancakes served two purposes - use up the berries and the buttermilk that's about to become Gouda, and satisfy my love for the day's first meal. I love a leisurely breakfast.

For perfectly browned pancakes, with a slightly crisp exterior and a giving middle, nothing cooks better than cast iron. When it's hot, rub with butter to prevent the cakes from sticking. The flavor it imparts is just an added bonus. I served with Trader Joe's Grade A Maple Syrup, which has a robust flavor. I recommend it.


Blueberry Cheese Pancakes
1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons Sugar
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
pinch salt
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Cottage Cheese
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1 pint fresh blueberries

Preheat griddle above a medium flame. When the pan is hot, grease with butter.

Mix all ingredients, except blueberries, until smooth. Drop by 1/4 cup onto hot griddle. Scatter blueberries on top of cakes. Cook about 2 minutes on each side, or until browned. Serve with extra berries and warmed maple syrup.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

How come when you make me pancakes you just dump pie filling on top? I want the real deal blueberry pancakes come Sunday mornin! ;)

I'll take a glass of chocolate milk too Gramma Sally.