Monday, January 21, 2008

If it's like this on the outside, what's it do to your insides?

My attempts at a low fat bran muffin are disastrous. (STOP RIGHT THERE! I know what you're thinking. No one wants a low fat bran muffin anyway, but silence your opinions long enough to read on, and you just might learn something. Probably not though.)

I'm in the midst of recipe development in my own kitchen. The general topic for today is muffins. After etching out a rough menu of 5 muffins that will be served year-round, I've begun messing with ingredients to produce them. Although I am personally opposed to them, it seems inevitable that a low fat option be offered for all of those health conscious folks out there. The thing I don't understand is, if you're trying to be ultra restrictive with your diet, then why are you eating baked goods in the first place? Have an apple.

But, I digress...

I carefully measured my flour, bran, raisins, and everything else. There's low fat buttermilk in this recipe, and a very small proportion of eggs. Other than that, it's skinny city. Applesauce replaces the need for butter or oil. I even replaced the refined white sugar with honey. What do I end up with? A spongy, sticky mess that won't even release from it's paper liner. And if it won't come away from the liner, how will it ever come away from the side of my dear customers' intestines?

Excuse me...the cinnamon struesel sour cream muffins with pecans need to come out of the oven. There's nothing low fat about them, and they are smelling very nice.

Back to the drawing board with the bran.

2 comments:

maurawwa said...

You should have a muffin called "Have an Apple Instead" and put all kinds of high-fat yummy things in it.

P.L. Kerpius said...

Here, here! Enough of this ridiculousness that is low fat baked goods, if you want something sweet you're supposed to eat it in its true, un-compromised (and yes, that means its full-fat) form.

Lovely blog, by the way. Ms. Diana introduced me to it, and as an amateur pastry chef myself I am delighted to make this virtual acquaintance.

I made a lattice top cherry pie on Saturday and its remains are calling my name...