Tuesday, October 16, 2007

One-Woman Frustration Station

America's only certified organic bakery (it shall remain nameless, but is easy to find if you dig a little) offered me a job as a pastry chef today. The compensation: $9.00 per hour, no benefits.

Seriously, what is wrong with this industry?

I wanted the job, too. I wanted it very badly. The owner is insanely creative, and I wanted to feed off of her energy like a leech sucks blood. It would have been a wonderful learning experience.

The bottom line is that each month I put a small dent into the never ending debt hole that is my student loan; this loan is something of a conundrum. It allowed me to get a job in this underpaying field. If I continue to work in it, it will take the rest of my natural life to repay it. If I hadn't borrowed, I could never have afforded school, and probably would never have gotten a job in the first place. It's the circle of life. There are other bills to pay, too. $9.00 doesn't cut it, even if I never leave the house except to go to work. But that's no way to live.

I am going to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and listen to the new Radiohead album. Get it here, it's gorgeous.

No comments: