Monday, July 23, 2007

More coffee


Since I broke the carafe to my Mr. Coffee a couple of weeks ago, I have taken to brewing coffee in Amelia's French press. At first it was a big hassle, boiling the water and letting it steep before pushing the plunger down, ever so gently so as not to disrupt the coarse grounds. I admit it, the first couple of times I did it there was a mess of grinds floating around in my cup. I am not agile, or patient, in the mornings. I was missing the delay function on my automatic coffee maker. Filling the canteen with water, loading the filter with grinds, and pushing a button at night enabled me to stumble out of bed to what I thought was a "fresh cup" every morning.

The French Press may be a bit more labor-intensive, or at least it seems that way when your eyes are still heavy with sleep, but it makes an amazing cup of coffee. It tastes better than the stuff that was coming out of the automatic. It's much less bitter. In turn, I'm much less bitter about having to get up at the crack of dawn. Quite nice, really.

My big thought of the day: although technology is a beautiful thing (Why write in a journal when you can type so much faster in a blog?), sometimes you can't beat the old-fashioned way of doing things.

This is the one I've been using. It's a Bodum 32 oz. Chef. You should get one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Already ordered mine. Can't wait to wake up to a nice pot of steaming hot, fresh, non-bitter coffee in the morning! Of course I had to upgrade and purchase the 24 cup version. Bitch Monster is what they call it. You won't find it online, you have to order it special.