Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Typical Wednesday


Behold! The Sarah B Pastry. Also known as the current bain of my existence. It's a little blurry, but you get the idea.
The Sarah B was named after Sarah Bernhardt, who was one of the most famous actresses of the 19th century. My employers swear that they did not invent this pastry, but I can't find any information about it. Believe me, I've tried. I think this is a Tags exclusive.
Every Wednesday we produce these pastries, in quantities from 100-300, for our largest hotel account. I dread Wednesdays for this very reason.
The amount of work that goes into these little buggers is pretty significant. I can spend four hours of my day completing this project if the numbers are on the higher end. Four long, tedious hours.
The base of the pastry is an almond macaroon. A very thin layer of mocha french buttercream holds a yellow cake disc, slightly smaller in diameter, on top. Then, a hollow beehive of mocha french buttercream is piped on top of the cake. The beehive is filled with apricot preserves. The fruit gets topped with a button of chocolate french buttercream. The whole thing gets chilled down and completely enrobed in tempered dark chocolate. Finally, a yellow buttercream sprial thingy is piped on. The whole thing is no larger than half of your fist, and it tastes horrible. There are way too many flavors going on. Almond, coffee, chocolate, and apricot...pick any three of the four, and you might be on to something. All together though, it's a damn nightmare.
I hate them. I am hating my job today.
My yoga mat and I have a 6:00 appointment. My chi is in need of adjustment.


4 comments:

At it again Jen said...

Someone must like them if you're making them every Wednesday. Must be a lot of stoners buying them up ;)

Rosy said...

Just be4 u said these little pastries suck, I actually had a desire to try them-oh well I'll take ur word for it!

Bethany said...

whoa, i love sweets...and this little thing does sound awfully disgusto. i think i just threw up a lil bit in my mouth.

thebza said...

sarah bernhardt - muse of alphonse mucha. what a beauty.