Thursday, January 25, 2007

Sitting on Diana's couch...needed to get out of the mess that is my apartment. Ate Chinese from Canton Express and Gianduja chocolate from Vosges while watching Grey's Anatomy.

I'd like to give a shout out to the Chicago Reader, my former employer of five years, for generously providing innumerable copies of free newspapers. They make excellent packing material. Dang, I have a lot of stuff.

A few years ago I got hooked on a magazine called Olive. It's a magazine for home cooks and is published out of England. It is somewhat equivalent to Gourmet or Bon Appetit, only infinitely cooler. The photography is wonderful. They make food look delicious and simple, and often the recipes are too. It gives insight into foods that Americans don't usually prepare at home, like oxtail and pudding. Oh, wait...that's "dessert" to a Yank.

Anyway, I have accumulated a large stack of Olives, and I can't seem to part with them. I threw out all of my back issues of Gourmet, but Olive is going to make the transition to the new place with me. You can get it at Borders, and you really should check out the pics.



I

2 comments:

thebza said...

HAI YEN!!!!!!!

diana said...

you neglected to mention that we were wearing diamonds and furs whilst eating that delicious chocolate and chinese food, gianduja girl. according to Food Lover's Companion, gianduja hails from switzerland and is a silky-smooth, hazelnut-flavored chocolate, available in milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate. it is available in gourmet markets and through mail order. god my job provides endless resources of information.