Monday, January 1, 2007

New Year, New Blog

Happy 2007. It's going to be a fantastic year.

A good amount of this blog will probably be about food; things I'm preparing, places I've eaten, oddities found in Asian markets, and the like.

The great thing about food is that it has the ability to energize, comfort, intrigue. It's about the balance of nourishing your body with the things it needs and pampering your body with the things it craves. It's about exploration and culture, and I haven't found anything yet that I enjoy so thoroughly.

Except music. I have a feeling they'll be a lot of talk about tunes on here, too. Occassionally, I'll proabably talk about the music that I'm listening to while I'm working or cooking. They go hand in hand.

And then sometimes I'll just talk about nothing. It's been nearly two years since I wrote down thoughts on a semi-regular basis. It's time to get back into the swing of things.

I had eight guests for New Year's Day brunch this afternoon. New Year's Day is meant for recuperation, for new beginnings, and lounging. Here's what I served, along with many rounds of mimosas, bloody marys, and coffee.

Scrambled eggs with roasted red peppers, tomatoes, and basil. This was intended to be a fritatta, but I had the pan heated too high, and they set a little too fast on the bottom. All's well that ends well, right? I made it for selfish reasons anyway. I love the smell of red peppers roasting on the stove burners.

Malted Belgian Waffles with Canadian Maple Syrup

Home Fries with Caramelized Onions

Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins. I had salted mac nuts on hand, so I used them, and it gave really nice contrast to the sweet banana.

Roasted Navel Oranges with Brown Sugar and Vanilla Yogurt Sauce. A little experiment. I wanted to serve fruit, but it all looked bad in the store, except for these oranges. It seemed so greasy spoon-like to serve plain orange wedges (not that there's anything wronge with that). They ended up very juicy and sweet. The flesh fell off the rind, and it tasted like a creamsicle.

Bacon. No explanation necessary.

2 comments:

Diana said...

And it was delicious. Those oranges were super good. So this post was kinda pointless but I wanted to see if it would work :)

Bethany said...

OH MY GAHD! YUM!