Monday, January 8, 2007

I had an interview this morning with a Mary Winslow, the woman who owns a business called "Take the Cake." It is truly unfortunate that her website doesn't include photos of previous projects, because her cakes are phenomenal. Impeccable, gorgeous, completely customized, very creative. She does business with several of the swank Chicago hotels (Peninsula, Sofitel, Park Hyatt, etc.) as well as with individual clients. Only wedding cakes - no birthdays, no novelties, no shapes, and a small cookie and truffle mail-order business.

Being in her space, a loft-like environment in the West Loop, got me very excited to get back to working on these kinds of things. I miss it a lot. All the creativity and attention to detail...I don't have any of that at my current job. Plus Mary seems to know what she's doing, and I would love to learn some new tricks.

It's kind of funny. I am the most un-girly girl I know when it comes to this stuff. I didn't dream about my wedding when I was a kid. I don't get gushy over love stories or babies, unless they're related to me. (God, Kristin, if you're reading this...I am going to be the worst maid-of-honor ever, but I promise to throw you a kick-ass bachelorette party!) And then I launch into this career of making wedding cakes. Ironic?

Anyway, Mary seemed to like me. Fingers crossed.

It's time to start cleaning out the fridge and pantry for the upcoming move. I can pretty much guarantee some odd meals in the next few weeks. I made soup today from leftover carrot and parsnip mash. Just added in a caramelized onion, garlic, fresh grated ginger, thyme, chicken stock and a little milk and whizzed it up. Not bad, especially since it was much colder in Chicago today than it's been in a while.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

WOO HOO! Get after it girl! Sounds excitin'. Keep us in the loop. (Yes its 12:47 am and I'm not near a bed- SLAY ME)

At it again Jen said...

Well......did ya get it?